Friday, March 10, 2006

MACUL 2006 - For the novice

One of the most interesting things is to observe my mother (who is a second grade teacher that doesn't necessarily feel comfortable with technology, but WOW you should see her in the classroom! I have never seen a more passionate, and compassionate teacher.). I use her as my inspiration. What are teachers really looking for? How can we make it more applicable for teachers to show them the possibilities for technology to take them beyond where they want to go?

Some of my thoughts are really becoming focused on connecting it directly to their classroom. After reading Dr. Peg Ertmer's most recent paper on Teacher Beliefs (in Educational Technology Research and Development), it really seems that we need the teachers to "buy-into" the innovation. I want to come back to this, because I've found some really great ideas by coming here. One of the more interesting sessions I went to was with a Ph.D. student at the University of Michigan. Back for more later.

Free Blogging Tools: I think.
Another great search engine for technology: Technorati
The TechSavvy Educator mentions free and non-comerical as important for educators to accept technology sites or use it. Otherwise, they don't have education in mind. MY thoughts? Even though there is profit behind it, sometimes profit drives it: Think Microsoft and Apple. Some of their developed materials and supprt are fantastic even though profit drives it.

Sky - Constellation Searches
Stellarium
Celestia - virtual tour.
Heavens-Above.com (Doesn't spam)
Possible uses with mimio board.

MACUL - Battle Creek Folks
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Anne Ottenbreit-Leftwich said...

Although you are right, I suppose I see a different perspective being in higher education since we receive such a large discount on Microsoft software. At Purdue, I am able to purchase Microsoft Office for 11$, XP for 11$ and FrontPage for 11$. The other thing I really like about Microsoft is the templates. Some of the templates are really quite amazing, and there are other things they are starting to attempt to do with education (through the teacher links). Although they are not necessarily driven by an intrinsic desire to improve education, I think this is a great place to start. With their "corner" on the market right now, they are putting it in place to improve the quality (or rather efficiency and effectiveness) of learning and engaging in our society. With enhancements like this, perhaps it's up to us as educators to glean the educational value from such innovations. Is that their role as a technology company? We don't ask the data projector people to necessarily do that. Where do we draw the line?

I think your presentation had some outstanding ideas that I am already planning on taking back to my classroom. I suppose I see that in higher education, I have more opportunities to be less jaded because of the lack of financial strain. However, let's try to take advantage of that for our K-12 schools. You'd be amazed at how willing education professors are at working with K-12 teachers, especially those like yourself that are self-motivated, driven, and incredibly creative! Best of luck to you and I'm looking forward to your next presentation!