Monday, June 26, 2006

Dissertation Thoughts

So, for those of you who don't know, I've been starting work on my dissertation, which is investigating exemplary technology-using teachers (those recognized by an award called the MCOATT - Michigan Consortium for Outstanding Achievements in Teaching with Technology) and trying to find out what really makes these teachers so outstanding in hopes of duplicating these efforts through preservice education programs. Therefore, my three main areas of interest lie in their visions of technology integration, the strategies they use when integrating technology, and their developmental process towards exemplary technology integration. So far, I have found several themes (although I have yet to fully analyze the data), but it seems as though all teachers started with an interest in technology. Either someone showed them the possibilities of technology with their students, or they grew up with an interest in computers in general (typically the second). This doesn't provide much hope unless we can get teachers and future teachers interested in the actual technology first.

However, I must note that technology is a tool. But I still feel it to be a different tool than other pedagogical tools. For instance, like reading innovations, (guided reading, phonics, whole language, etc...) seem to pop-up every year. How are these types of innovations different than technology innovations? Why are some teachers likely to adopt certain reading innovations? IS technology so different because it changes at such a rapid rate? OR is it different because it can be integrated into all disciplines? It brings up the question of - should technology be considered a separate part of teacher education or should it be integrated into a teacher's pedagogy. From my perspective, it seems as though with these exemplary technology-using teachers (ETUTs) that they used the keyword "seamless". I was amazed at the effortless production of new technology integration ideas. Most teachers said, I can do this lesson or this lesson. Some even volunteered different ideas once I showed up and said
I can do it this way, or we could do this, or... What would you like to see?


Another interesting thing is the commonalities between all the teachers. Their willining to first help with my project and open their classrooms up. They were all so motivated, excited, there was such energy in the room. It made me want to be in a classroom again! When we talked afterwards, I felt as though I was with kindred spirits - the excitement of talking about new technologies and how they could be used. Now, I don't necessarily believe that all teachers would get excited about this, but it brings up an excellent area of interest for me in my belief that brainstorming with other teachers and getting excited about new, creative ideas is a great way to keep teaching fresh, exciting, and innovative. Therefore, the collaboration between inservice teachers, preservice teachers, and universities should also be seamless. Through service learning and active learning communities, I believe we can improve not only teacher education, but K-12 education. I think this is the next step, and I intend to move my work in this direction in the up-and-coming years.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: